A home with that undefinable “something-something” that draws you in at first glance and peaks your interest to see more - otherwise known as “curb appeal ” - can add thousands to your home's value and cut the time it takes to sell.
Most of what we have been taught about how "looks don't matter" and "don't judge a book by its cover" doesn't really apply when comes to selling a home in the Nashville area - how your home looks from the outside actually matters a lot!
The old adage about art could more appropriately apply to curb appeal — "you know it when you see it." You want your home's exterior to have that immediate "love at first sight factor "because that is how you are going to draw prospective buyers in the door to see the rest of the house!
When addressing your Greater Nashville home's curb appeal, walk across the street and take a good, objective look at it. You may also want to get in the car, drive by and rubber neck so you can see it from different angles. What is the first impression you get? Does your home have enough curb appeal or is it in need of a lttle TLC?
According to a recent Zillow survey, real estate professionals named curb appeal as one of the five most important factors in selling a home. Here are 10 easy DIY suggestions you can use to boost your home’s curb appeal without digging too deeply into the profit from the sale of your Nashville area home:
- Mowing the lawn and maintaining the landscaping will enhance the presentation of your Nashville area real estate property to the 10th power. Plants, shrubs and flowerbeds also need regular trimming, weeding, raking and mulching to keep them looking tidy and well groomed.
- Mailboxes are relatively inexpensive to replace, but if you don’t want to part with your old pal, a good wash or a fresh coat of paint will do just fine. Does it look lonely, in need of plantings or a sturdier post?
- Give your home a welcoming vibe by laying down a new welcome mat. It seems like a simple detail, but if your front porch can be seen from the road, everything on it should be attractive and inviting.
- Upgrading your house numbers is one of the easiest and most cost effective ways to improve your home's curb appeal. Instead of using those peel and stick numbers or sticking with the same old ones that you 've had forever, why not add some modernized numbers and give your home an instantly updated look?
- Outdoor lighting can help make your home feel more welcoming and will also add visual appeal to your front yard or the walkway to your door. Adding lights is inexpensive and great way to enhance your home's curb appeal at night. Do you have a special feature to highlight, such as a stone pillar or fountain? Give it a low-voltage or solar spotlight.
- Pressure washing the exterior of your property will remove old dirt and grime and help make it look new again. Pressure washing takes much less time than painting, and depending on the overall condition of your home’s exterior, it may give you the same results for pennies the dollar.
- Cleaning the outside of your windows will make your home seem cleaner overall. Wash outside window sills and frames with mild detergent and water before you begin cleaning the glass. Start at the top and work your way down to prevent drips.
- If your window screens are in major need of repair, fixing or replacing them will instantly improve the appearance of your home. New screens are fairly inexpensive to replace and take a matter of seconds to pop in and out.
- Gutters filled with leaves and debris can negatively impact the overall appearance of your home. Not to mention, buildup in gutters can cause water to stand, which could eventually cause major damage to your home’s structure and roof. A handheld blower or wet/dry vacuum are effective tools for removing debris.
- Applying a fresh coat of paint will liven up the look of your home, especially if the exterior looks faded or dingy. You may also want to give your garage door(s) a fresh coat of paint. Garage doors tend to get dirty and faded over time from all the up and down movement (be sure to repair any pings or dents in metal doors before painting).
The DIY tips above are just some of the ways you can easily enhance your home's curb appeal and add value.
- Avoiding Financial Stress
- Build a Plan of Action and Get Ready
- Finding the Right Seller
- Pre-Qualifed vs Pre-approved
- Hot, Normal, and Cold Markets
- Importance of Inspection
- Your Credit Score Matters
- Is Buying a Home Still a Smart Plan?
- Buying a Foreclosure
- Why Hire a Buyer's Agent?
There are many components to the home selling process. That is why you want an experienced Greater Nashville real estate agent working on your behalf – from listing your home at the right price to walking you through the closing. We invite you to give us a call or send us an email today!
Our team of highly experienced real estate professionals provide exceptional, personalized service - and will work relentlessly to make sure selling your home in the Nashville area is a positive and rewarding experience!
We look forward to helping you achieve your Middle Tennessee real estate goals!
RE/MAX Fine Homes
1624 Westgate Circle Suite 125
Brentwood, Tn 37027
Cell: (Direct) 615.438.4941